Climate of Sofia, Bulgaria Average Weather
- Sofia, Bulgaria is at 42°38'N, 23°23'E, 591 m (1939 ft). See map.
- Sofia has a marine west coast climate that is mild with no dry season, warm summers. Heavy precipitation occurs during mild winters which are dominated by mid-latitude cyclones. Seasonality is moderate (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cfb).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Sofia is situated in or near the cool temperate moist forest biome.
- The mean temperature is 10 degrees Celsius (50 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 22.2 °C (40°F). This indicates that the continentality type is continental, subtype subcontinental.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 3.7°C (38.7°F) on average falling to -3.5°C (25.7°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 15.1°C (59.1°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 4.8°C (40.6°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 25°C (77.1°F) and average low temperatures are 13.5°C (56.3°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 16.3°C (61.3°F) during the day and lows of 5.9°C (42.6°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 579 mm (22.8 inches) which is equivalent to 579 Litres/m² (14.2 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2049 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- If you were to burrow down through the Earth from Sofia you would come out nearest to the climate station at Mokairau, Pakarae, New Zealand (Warm temperate thorn steppe biome).
The climate table uses colour to represent the data so you can get a good idea about the climate at a glance. The colour also helps when comparing two or more locations that you can switch between in separate tabs in your browser. There are links along the side and top to the various sections where we are adding additional details including in the new discussion section where you can read and add posts about the various aspects!
Climate of Sofia, Bulgaria Discussion
We are pleased to announce the release of the new discussion section. Here you will discover a wealth of knowledge about the various aspects of the local climate presented by our international community. We would like to invite you to help get discussion started by visiting those locations you are familiar with. Is there something noteworthy about the climate there that you can enlighten us about? Discussion is subdivided into specific topics such as the months of the year and aspects such as day length and temperature. When you have an idea of something fascinating to share please visit the specific page most fitting and add your post using the simple interface. No registration or third party network login is necessary.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides: