Sofia Climate & Temperature
- Sofia, Bulgaria is at 42°38'N, 23°23'E, 591 m (1939 ft). See map.
- Sofia has a marine west coast climate that is mild with no dry season, warm summers. Heavy precipitation occurs during mild winters which are dominated by mid-latitude cyclones. Seasonality is moderate (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cfb).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Sofia is situated in or near the cool temperate moist forest biome.
- The average temperature is 10 degrees Celsius (50 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 22.2 °C (40°F). This indicates that the continentality type is continental, subtype subcontinental.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 3.7°C (38.7°F) on average falling to -3.5°C (25.7°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 15.1°C (59.1°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 4.8°C (40.6°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 25°C (77.1°F) and average low temperatures are 13.5°C (56.3°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 16.3°C (61.3°F) during the day and lows of 5.9°C (42.6°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 579 mm (22.8 inches) which is equivalent to 579 Litres/m² (14.2 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2049 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Sofia you would pop up nearest to the climate station at Mokairau, Pakarae, New Zealand (Warm temperate thorn steppe biome).
Sofia Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Sofia Climate Graph in Metric Units
Sofia Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Sofia, Bulgaria Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides: